Wednesday 10 October 2012

Hummus and Tilapia Gyros



I'm pretty sure that I have the best husband ever. Justin surprised me last week with a brand new blender! This action instates him as husband of the semester. During my growing up years, blenders were only used for milkshakes and the occasional smoothie. When I got married, I didn't include a blender in our registry because of the rarity of uses I supposed it would receive. My mind has been progressively changing about the usefulness and desirability of the common blender. Recipes require blenders and/or food processors to make soups, sauces, dips, pestos, frozen drinks... I want to be exposed to these foods! My dear husband used his birthday gifts to purchase his wife a blender. Have I mentioned that I have the greatest husband ever?

A nonchalant agreement was formed upon arriving in Grenada that we needed to eat a lot of hummus. Fresh fruits and vegetables are nice foods to eat in Grenada because they are fresh and cool, something the weather is not. Sometimes it's just not nice to eat a hot pork chop and steamed carrots when you're sitting in 31C/87F stickiness. Canned hummus was the only option available here, at a ridiculous price. That just wasn't going to work for us. The ultimate terms of the agreement were therefore determined: Justin buys blender/Kristina makes hummus. As Justin kept his end, I felt I should return my end promptly and abundantly.

Tilapia gyros with tzatziki sauce along with fresh hummus and sliced veggies fit the terms nicely. Justin and I loved this meal! The flavours are unique and deep. Raw rules this meal. Above all, I was amazed at how easy it was to make such a good spread. The tzatziki sauce took a bit of forethought but was well worth it. The hummus was made without tahini as the sesame paste is expensive here.

 BROILED TILAPIA GYROS

Ingredients

  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 3-4 tilapia fillets
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tomato
  • 7 oz Greek yoghurt (or plain yoghurt, see below)
  • 1 cucumber, cut in half
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup dill
  • lemon juice to taste
  • salt and pepper
  • assorted cut veggies for dipping

Preparation
  1. Blend first 4 ingredients in blender. Add olive oil and lemon until desired consistency. Set hummus aside.
  2. Preheat broiler.
  3. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper on both sides. Place fish on greased broiler pan or baking dish. Cook for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
  4. Grate half of cucumber; squeeze out extra moisture then place on paper towel.
  5. Combine yoghurt, grated cucumber, garlic, and dill. Add lemon juice to taste.
  6. Spread 2 tablespoons of tzatziki sauce on one half of flatbread. Slice tomato and remaining cucumber. Place cucumber slices, tomato slices on tzatziki. Place fish on veggies. Top with avocado slices or mashed avocado. Fold in half and enjoy!

 Note: Regular yoghurt may be used in place of Greek yoghurt (which I did). To prevent the tzatziki from being too runny, strain yoghurt in two coffee filters over a colander on the counter for an hour.

Original recipes: Tilapia gyros here, tzatziki sauce here, and hummus here.

















By the way, like the tablecloth? It's a picnic everyday at the Fox house!


Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn to talk!