Sunday 30 December 2012

Merry Christmas, Kids.

I lied. My promised "few days" lieu turned into a few more days and consequently into a few weeks. Family visits don't happen very often so I determined to enjoy every bit of it. I'm sure you don't hold that against me.
However, my recess leaves lots for me to catch up on. Beginning with the orphanage.


I volunteer at a children's home every monday afternoon. Our last visit of the year was the much anticipated Christmas Party! Due to some changes, the kids were not going to receive presents for Christmas this year. I talked to my dad about it and he arrived in Grenada loaded with toys, games, crayons, and dolls, donations from Canada.

All fourteen kids rushed at our bus as we pulled into the compound. Dad tagged along to enjoy our Christmas cheer and ended up having a fantastic time. The kids were fascinated by dad and was asked more than once if he was Santa. He didn't mind.


One happy daughter!


The party started with cookie decorating. Icing, sprinkles, coloured gel migrated to the plain cookies to become delicious masterpieces. Of course, sometimes the masterpiece ended up on the face instead of the tummy.





Part II: Presents. We loaded a suitcase full of goodies for the kids. The mix of Canadian donations and our own contribution resulted in multiple presents for each child. After waiting for the gift distribution,  sounds of tearing paper and shouts of happiness filled the humid air.

All ready to be opened!


I have never seen a reaction like I saw that day. Joy is the only word that could come to mind. Who ever thought that electric cars and nail polish could elicit such happiness? 

Then it was time to play! Dad joined right in, working with R on his new puzzle.


And playing with cars.



The christmas party was a smashing success. We left some sugar-high and hyper kids with toys and teddies in hand. It was a day I won't forget...especially since I shared the day with my dad.



I hope you all had a merry Christmas and plan on having a fun-filled New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn to talk!