Monday 7 January 2013

Sorrel Juice: A New Holiday Favourite

Food and holidays must be the world's greatest combination. One of the secret joys of world travel is finding new combinations of snacks and celebrations. My newest discovery consists of a pretty little flower and some spices.
Sorrel flowers

The pretty little flower's common name is Sorrel. The rest of the world knows it as Roselle. It's a biannually flowering hibiscus plant, apparently grows all over the world, and has many folk medicinal uses. I simply find that it makes a tasty drink! Sorrel juice comes around at Christmastime in the Caribbean. I'm sure each island has it's own variation to the drink but I stuck to the basics. (I usually have more luck if I keep things simple.)

Boiling those bright flowers


Sorrel juice really is a simple beverage to make. 

1. Drop approx. 4-6 cups of sorrel flowers in a big pot of water.
2. Add bay leaf, piece of peeled ginger root, and 4-8 whole cloves.
3. Bring to a boil until colour has drained from flowers into the water.
4. Strain, add sugar to taste, and cool before serving.
Addition of rum is optional but preferred. We're in the Caribbean, after all.
Ginger, bay leaf, cloves

Almost ready to drink!




 I was a negligent girl and forgot to take a photo of my finished product...but found one on google. :) Photo credit here.

If you're interested in making your own batch of juice you just might be able to find Roselle in produce sections of international grocers. Good luck!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn to talk!